The IBM System i is one of the most powerful, reliable and stable platforms in the computing world.
With its integrated DB2 database and unparalleled uptime, the System i is the cornerstone of thousands of businesses worldwide.
The links below pertain specifically to the IBM System i and are a complement to the more comprehensive list of technical resources.
- IBM System i – Home
- IBM System i News
- IBM i Technical Resources Roadmap
- Latest IBM i Articles (IBM Systems Media)
The database engine for the System i is arguably the best in the world.
The items below highlight some of the capabilities packed in to this database that is included with i5/OS.
- DB2 Web Query
- Joins in SQL SELECT Statements (MC Press)
- MERGE DB2 Data to SQL Server (MC Press)
- RUNSQLSTM tips for i5/OS V6R1 (MC Press)
- SQL Call Level Interface (CLI) FAQ
- SQL Fun with Dates and Times (developerWorks)
- SQL Goodies in DB2 for i5/OS V5R4 (IT Jungle)
- Using SQL in the Real World (MC Press)
- Using SQL Views (IT Jungle)
- Working with Derived Types in SQL (MC Press)
The Grails web application framework can be run effectively on the IBM System i.
IBM provides a robust Java implementation for the IBM System i.
As will all platforms, the IBM System i leverages the "write once run anywhere" nature of Java.
Not to be confused with Microsoft .Net, IBM’s Net.Data offers a quick path to web-enabling your System i applications.
The PHP web programming language has enjoyed an upswing in popularity in recent years.
Not to be left out, Zend now delivers their PHP offerings for IBM i5/OS.
- Zend and i5/OS (IBM)
- Zend Core for i5/OS (Zend)
- Start Using PHP on the iSeries (MC Press)
- PHP on System i, Part 1 : Introduction and examples (developerWorks)
- PHP on System i, Part 2 : A comparative study of Net.Data and PHP (developerWorks)
RPG is unmatched as a programming language for business applications.
- BLOBs, CLOBs and RPG (IBM Systems Media archive)
- Command Line Parameters (IT Jungle)
- Converting from C prototypes to RPG prototypes (Scott Klement)
- ILE Service Program Tutorial (MC Press)
- ILE Basics : Modules and Programs (System i Network)
- ILE Basics : Procedures (System i Network)
- Integers and RPG (MC Press)
- RPG Free Coding
- RPG Sockets Programming – Scott Klement’s essential tutorial
- Special Initial Values (System i Network)
Forums and mailing lists for your IBM System i questions.
- IBM Redbooks
- IBM System i and i5/OS Information Center
- MC Press Forums
- Midrange.com Mailing Lists
- System i Access – Graphical navigator for the System i packed with useful tools (IBM)
- HTTP Server for i5/OS – Home page of the Apache-based HTTP server for the IBM System i (IBM)
- System i LDAP – The place to get started with the IBM directory server (IBM)
- WebSphere Application Server for System i
The list below contains useful tips, tools and tricks for getting the most out of your IBM System i.
- IBM Support
- Configuring and Administering your LDAP Directory Server (IBM)
- Enhance i5/OS With Commands – Use qualification on new commands (MC Press)
- Forward SMTP E-mail – Forward e-mail sent to i5/OS SMTP server
- FROG for the iSeries/i5 – Windows-based database utility
- GNU Utilities – Port these Unix utilities to the System i (IBM)
- IBM-Supplied Help Text Generator (System i Network)
- Open Source Resources for the IBM System i
- PGP Encryption for the IBM System i (Townsend Security)
- Releasing File Member Locks With QShell (IT Jungle)
- QShell Introduction (KdTechForum)
- System i Globalization – Codepage and CCSID information (IBM)
- Special authorities – Comprehensive explanations with potential exposures (System i Network)
- Think400 – Tips, downloads and sample code for the IBM System i
- Tools 400 – Useful freeware tools for the IBM System i