The IBM System i is one of the most powerful, reliable and stable platforms in the computing world.
With its integrated DB2 database and unparalleled uptime, the System i is the cornerstone of thousands of businesses worldwide.
The links below pertain specifically to the IBM System i and are a complement to the more comprehensive list of links.
- IBM System i – Home
- IBM System i News
- System i Analyst Reports – Reports on the business value of the IBM System i
The database engine for the System i is arguably the best in the world.
The items below highlight some of the capabilities packed in to this database that is included with i5/OS.
- DB2 Web Query
- Joins in SQL SELECT Statements (MC Press)
- MERGE DB2 Data to SQL Server (MC Press)
- RUNSQLSTM tips for i5/OS V6R1 (MC Press)
- SQL Call Level Interface (CLI) FAQ
- SQL Fun with Dates and Times (developerWorks)
- SQL Goodies in DB2 for i5/OS V5R4 (IT Jungle)
- Using SQL in the Real World (MC Press)
Using SQL Views (IT Jungle)
- Working with Derived Types in SQL (MC Press)
The Grails web application framework can be run effectively on the IBM System i.
IBM provides a robust Java implementation for the IBM System i.
As will all platforms, the IBM System i leverages the "write once run anywhere" nature of Java.
Not to be confused with Microsoft .Net, IBM’s Net.Data offers a quick path to web-enabling your System i applications.
- Net.Data for i5/OS
- Net.Data Home – Links to all pertinent Net.Data information (dtwdude.com)
- Net.Data Forum – Ask questions and search postings on Net.Data (dtwdude.com)
The PHP web programming language has enjoyed an upswing in popularity in recent years.
Not to be left out, Zend now delivers their PHP offerings for IBM i5/OS.
- Zend and i5/OS (IBM)
- Zend Core for i5/OS (Zend)
- Start Using PHP on the iSeries (MC Press)
- PHP on System i, Part 1 : Introduction and examples (developerWorks)
- PHP on System i, Part 2 : A comparative study of Net.Data and PHP (developerWorks)
RPG is unmatched as a programming language for business applications.
- BLOBs, CLOBs and RPG (IBM Systems Magazine)
- Command Line Parameters (IBM Systems Magazine)
- Converting from C prototypes to RPG prototypes (OpenSource400.org)
- ILE Basics (System i Network)
- ILE Basics : Modules and Programs (System i Network)
- ILE Basics : Procedures (System i Network)
- Integers and RPG (MC Press)
- RPG Free Tutorial
- RPG Sockets Programming – Scott Klement’s essential tutorial
- Special Initial Values (System i Network)
Forums and mailing lists for your IBM System i questions.
- IBM Redbooks
- IBM System i and i5/OS Information Center
- MC Press Forums
- Midrange.com Mailing Lists
- System i Access – Graphical navigator for the System i packed with useful tools (IBM)
- HTTP Server for i5/OS – Home page of the Apache-based HTTP server for the IBM System i (IBM)
- System i LDAP – The place to get started with the IBM directory server (IBM)
- LDAP Basics – Slightly outdated but a good overview of LDAP on the IBM System i
- System i Network – Comprehensive reference for iSeries/i5 professionals
- System i Network Forums
- WebSphere Application Server for System i
The list below contains useful tips, tools and tricks for getting the most out of your IBM System i.
- Code Samples Downloadable code for RPG, SQL and more (System i Network)
- Configuring and Administering your LDAP Directory Server (IBM)
- Enhance i5/OS With Commands – Use qualification on new commands (MC Press)
- Forward SMTP E-mail – Forward e-mail sent to i5/OS SMTP server (System i Network)
- FROG for the iSeries/i5 – Windows-based database utility
- GNU Utilities – Port these Unix utilities to the System i (IBM)
- IBM-Supplied Help Text Generator (System i Network)
- Open Source Resources for the IBM System i
- PGP Encryption for the IBM System i (Patrick Townsend & Associates)
- Releasing File Member Locks With QShell (IT Jungle)
QShell Introduction – part 3 (System i Network)
- IBM System i Support Search – Search all areas of System i information (IBM)
- System i DocFinder – The ultimate tool for navigating IBM’s online documentation (System i Network)
- System i Globalization – Codepage and CCSID information (IBM)
- Special authorities – Comprehensive explanations with potential exposures (System i Network)
- Think400 – Tips, downloads and sample code for the IBM System i
- Tools 400 – Useful freeware tools for the IBM System i
- UZAEMON – List of many downloadable tools for the IBM System i